The Congleton Cycling Campaign is a group of volunteers who would like to see conditions improve for cycling in and around Congleton for workers, shoppers and school children. From our start-up in 1996, we have aimed to promote and encourage cycling in all its forms and to work to get the local authorities to facilitate safe cycling. We work with other cycle groups and clubs as well as the transport charity Sustrans to represent the interests of local cyclists. We are also members of the Cheshire East Cycling Campaign/Forum. To show your support, please join now – contact us for details. Once a member, you can do as little or as much as you like to help out – no obligations.
- Cycling is often quicker than using a car.
- Lock it and leave it (for free) instead of circling for a car parking spot.
- Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level equal to that of someone 10 years younger.
- Cycling reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
- Cycling can reduce the levels of stress, depression and improve your self-esteem.
- Improves air quality and reduces congestion.
The Congleton Cycling Campaign has produced a handy cycling map (see below) to help cyclists plan trips around and through Congleton. The image on the right shows the first edition; after our third edition (2011) we then joined forces with the new South East Cheshire Cycle Action Group (SECCAG) to produce a map covering towns in the south of Cheshire East. The latest edition was in 2017; we’ll wait for the new link road to be built before producing another edition.
The map shows national and local on/off road cycling routes and shortcuts that are useful for those on foot or using mobility aids too. You can obtain this free cycling map from Congleton Library, Congleton Tourist Information Centre and some cycle shops.